8.06.2009

"Good Hair"--the movie & the reality



so, i was watching "Wendy Williams" [boy, half my posts are getting to be about this woman, lol, but i LOVE her show!] and she played the trailer for a Chris Rock documentary called "Good Hair". i believe it's supposed to be released nationwide on October and i cannot wait to see it. long story short; the movie is about how we as a race feel about our hair. personally, i don't think how you style your hair has ANYTHING to do with how you feel about your race. i straighten my hair to the dickens & i wear 14 inches of remi hair [love it!] and i'm completely proud to be black! i just think i look better with long hair & my hair won't get that long on it's own. and i like how manageable my hair is when it's straight. why do so many "natural" sisters feel the need to say that women who use chemicals, etc. are shunning their heritage? hair is hair. do what you want with it. if you wanna wear dreads, cool. if you want a long, ice blond weave down to your ankles, fine.

speaking of "good hair", what is GOOD HAIR to you? i've always heard this term, and everytime someone would say it around my mom she would say, "everything God made is good!" (she was SO WISE, i miss her so much), and it's true. why is some hair "GOOD" and others' "bad"? as most of us know, lots of Black people usually will say it's hair that's long, curly, no "kitchen", smooth on the edges, & very soft. the fact of the matter is, most of us don't have hair like that! if you're 100% black, it's probably jet black, coarse, kinky & your edges DO NOT lay down, lol. and there's nothing wrong with that! i wish we could learn to stop calling it "good" hair. hair is hair & everyone is beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Please take a moment to check out my documentary film BLACK HAIR

    It is free at youtube. 6 parts including an update from London, England.

    It explores the Korean Take-over of the Black Beauty Supply and Hair biz..

    Kinda like Madame C.J. Walker in Reverse....a tragic comedy.

    I am not a hater, I am a motivator.

    Plus I am a White guy who stumbled upon this, and felt it was so wrong I had to make a film about it.

    Can it be taken back?

    Link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Clapping* I love this post! I agree totally. I think it's a miseducation/ignorance issue. It bothers me when people define something as "good"(for example.. good hair)... wtf??? That's just wrong in so many ways and we're all blessed to look differently and no type of hair is better than the next...it's just different and we should all learn as a race to accept and respect that.
    I wrote a post a while back(March) that you might also enjoy...check it out and lemme know what you think. It's titled.. How do you define beauty?

    Great post!

    ~Nina of *AF*

    ReplyDelete

cmmnts|♥